Monday, April 16, 2007

Balancing writing with marketing

Since my last post I have continued with a new story that's reached 4850 words as of 7 a.m. this morning, traveled to Biloxi to work, then Birmingham for a charity golf tournament for the Kidney foundation, and back to Jackson to work on the back yard so I can sell my house.

Also learned from a trusted friend that one of the other stories might need a fresh look. So I gave it one. Boy was she right. I got her suggestions, along with an overview from my editor of the story, which (fortunately) he liked but agreed could use a little work here and there. I've re-read the story to think about how to fix a few of the obvious problems, but will hold the rewrite until after a couple of drafts of the new story are complete.

I've also been working the phones and email to begin trying to arrange appearances on panels or whatever I can find in the way of conferences next spring. Have made contact with a couple of people well-known in literary circles, who are helping me find the right committees to talk with. Also have begun talking with writers I respect to ask them to consider reading the MS and writing a blurb for it.

Balancing the needs of the book with 9-10 hour work days is quite fun. I hope the adrenalin doesn't wear off soon and the coffee pot stays full. Did I mention I'm building a new house and trying to get the old one ready to sell. Yikes, what was I thinking? Well, duty calls me to answer a few emails for work before tomorrow.....

No comments: