Saturday, August 18, 2007

Moving stories

I've promised to use this space to follow the process of the book from acceptance through publication. I've been a little quiet and had little to say so far, but things are heating up. Henry O and I finally had a "getting started" talk. First, we cut one story. I suppose it was good that I had already selected the story I thought was the least like the others (remember those puzzles...which one of these shapes is not like the other?). Henry picked the same story. So we're down to 10 stories now for Oh Don't You Cry for Me.

The last story written will also be moved to the last slot in the book. Presently the piece happens to be the longest story, though it's somewhat plot driven and moves along quickly. Titled The Consequences of Summer Heat, the story follows our female primary character through her sorting out of relationships with three men, who more or less overlap in her life in the same time frame. Like most of us men, they're all flawed. Who'd have thunk it?

About half the stories are more or less ready, while one or two will have a little tinkering. A few others need some basic editing. Mostly it's a matter of finding a way to provide more backstory for one or two characters that appear suddenly and perhaps with too little warning. We also shuffled a story or two, putting two stories back-to-back that happen to deal with the relationships between brothers who are close.

One long story, currently titled And it Burned, may find a new title. While the line comes from a song played on a juke box during a bar scene, Henry has asked me to consider something perhaps more directly drawn from the story and with more immediacy. The story follows a mother seeking both to protect her grown daughter and extract a measure of revenge from her daughter's attacker. No great ideas yet: Ring of Fire...Pickup Lines (You have to know the story for that one to make any sense)...and other silly names are floating around in my head, but I'll work on that early in the day when I'm fresher.

Tomorrow is a Sunday and I've set aside 8-noon for editing/thinking. I hope to visit here more often now that the editing process is speeding up and with a deadline in October.

We're also beginning to develop ideas for the book cover. Jefferson Press has a designer they like, so we'll be sending him ideas and names of books I like and a few I don't like.

Next time maybe we can begin to talk about the places in Alabama and Mississippi where these stories take place. And why a bunch of gals and guys who are so obviously troubled don't need our concern.....see ya soon. Philip

No comments: