Saturday, May 10, 2014

The twin tugs of marketing a new book and writing one

The White Lie is now in the hands of the publisher Mindbridge Press. The Advance Reading Copies have been sent to numerous reviewers at places like Library Journal and Kirkus with the hope and wish they will find the book worthy. If you are publishing with a small publisher, make sure they schedule time to get gallies off 12-15 weeks ahead of release date. A few writers have agreed to read the book and provide blurbs if they like the work. Early news is that they seem to like it. It's a waiting game for reviews and blurbs, but mostly for the July 10 release when I can start making the circuit of bookstore signings, conference talks, and readings. As I sit here on a Saturday afternoon overlooking the reservoir, I'd love to be one of those boaters I see. I'd also love to be editing the other novel I recently finished and looking for an agent or publisher. And the other voice in my head insists that I do something to help make sure The White Lie finds readers.

So let's recount the day and see what I did:
Start with a couple of beers and hamburger at the Cherokee Drive-in with my wife & another friend. Check.
Ride around with the top down to put off working. Check.
Stop by Lemuria Bookstore to talk to Johnny about the book launch July 10. (confirmed.) Check.
Ask Johnny to see if Ingram has the book listed for sale yet to bookstores. (It does!) Check.
Walk the dog for the second time, to put off working. Check.
Spray the poison ivy in the garden to put off working. Check.
Update my Philip Shirley personal web site to list the two signings that were confirmed this week. Check.
Edit copy on the website. Check.
Open the file on a short story draft and write a paragraph or two. Check.
Reread a piece of flash fiction to see if it got better sitting idle in the file. (Nope.) Check.
Look up a couple of bookstore addresses to ask Mindbridge to contact for signings. Check.
Look up bloggers who might be interested in reviewing the book. Check.
Read the tutorial on Contribute 2 so figure out how to change leading in the website. (No luck). Check.
Send my publisher an email about the timing of the digital version release. Check.
Open another file to see if any of the half-started, dead-end short stories speaks to me today. (Nope) Check.
Get another beer and imagine selling thousands of copies of The White Lie. Check
Consider editing The Graceland Conspiracy manuscript. (considered, dismissed) Check.
Look up my blogs to see how long it has been since I blogged. Oops, too long. Check.
Write this blog about what book publishing feels like. Check.


No comments: